Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Split Pea Soup w/ Drop Biscuits

This is super easy and delicious. You're going to love me for how simple this is to make!

1 lb. bag split peas
8 cups water
1 heaping Tbs. salt
1 tsp. (at least) pepper
1 bay leaf
1 onion, chopped
3 stalks chopped celery (but only if you're in the mood; they're not necessary)

Add all to crock-pot and set to low for 6 hours. Then add:

1 small bag frozen peas & carrots (because sometimes you just don't wanna chop any more veggies!)

Cook for another hour or two. Use immersion blender to pulverize about half of those poor peas. I put it straight into my crock-pot and whirl away.

Make drop biscuits per instructions on a box of Bisquick. Use melon-baller to make tablespoon-sized biscuits. Cook 8 minutes in 450* oven. Drop a handful into each bowl of soup. Yum!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh! Ha! At first I was thinking of dumplings, and I was wondering how they would do in the crockpot, then I wondered what exactly you put in the oven--the crockpot? Then I got it, you said drop-biscuits, as in, no-roll, not as in into-your-crockpot. So you made soup in the crockpot and biscuits in the oven--got it! :)

Thanks! That does look super easy, and I am a big fan of all lentil types!

~Angela K.

The Mama Behind the Story said...

Ginger,

You've mentioned many times before that you're a big fan of Rachel Ray, and you convert many of those recipes.

While you've probably discussed this before, and I'm just not finding it (could happen), how exactly do you go about converting recipes?

Liz

Valerie said...

What a great idea for a web blog. You have some neat recipes here. Thanks for sharing. I hope you keep adding to it.

MommaofMany said...

Sounds yummy! My kids love little version of anything and I think they'd giggle over Baby Biscuits...but YOU don't really use Bisquick, do you?? ;)