Thursday, May 1, 2008

Vegetarian Burritos

First, make the spice mix:

1/4 cup chili powder
4 tsp. oregano
1 Tbs. cumin

Then layer these ingredients in the crock-pot in the following order:

2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
1 can black beans, drained
1 can pinto beans, drained
half of spice mix
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (I substitute poblano)
1 bell pepper, any, chopped
remaining half of spice mix
2 cups frozen corn

Cover and cook on LOW 5 hours or until sweet potato is tender. Turn off, and stir in:

1/3 cup lime juice
2 Tbs. chopped cilantro

Spoon 1 cup of filling into softened burrito-size tortillas. Top with:

2 Tbs. Monterrey Jack cheese before folding all four sides to close the burrito.

Serve with sour cream, if desired.

Serves 8

3 comments:

MommaofMany said...

These sound wonderful, Ginger! I have them on this weeks menu.

Tara said...

These sound amazing! I'm going to try this one for sure...thanks!

Tara said...

Ginger, I made this for my department at work, and my husband, and everyone loved them! Thanks for the great recipe---it was a big hit!